I have recently completed, presented, defended and passed my master’s thesis project. It was a great experience which I believe has the potential of preventing traffic accidents and saving human lives. Bellow you can read the abstract and if you are interested you may download the whole report here:
In tomorrow’s vehicle industry vehicles will have the ability to communicate and cooperate with each other in order to avoid collisions and provide useful information to each other. However, for this cooperation to be possible all vehicles will have to be equipped with compatible wireless 802.11p modules that implement the ITS-G5 standard. During the implementation phase of the system there will be plenty of older vehicles without such equipment.
This thesis addresses this problem by developing the hardware and software for a road side unit called Drive ITS. It consists of a universal medium range radar that detects older vehicles, a 802.11p modem that forwards their position and speed vectors to newer vehicles and an embedded system that utilizes and integrates those two parts.
The hardware for the embedded system is divided in two main parts; a microcontroller board and a single-board microcomputer. The software is written in two programming languages; C++ for the microcontroller and Java for the microcomputer.
Tests have been performed by comparing Drive ITS results to results from other vehicles that already implement the ITS-G5 standard and it has been confirmed that the system works as it was intended to.
This solution will prevent potential accidents of newer ITS-G5 vehicles with older ordinary vehicles thus saving human lives.
I have a project assignment to do for one of my university courses (Numerical Analysis). The project is about modeling a Stewart platform in MATLAB. I took it a step further and animated a Harlem Shake of the final result. Enjoy the video after the hop. Continue reading →
Currently I am doing my Master Thesis at the Department of Electrical and Information Technology, Lund University. In this project we are aiming to demonstrate a new concept for improving traffic safety using wireless communication between vehicles.
This image is a sneak peak into our second prototype. Can you guess what the lower part is? The final report will be published here in the middle of June.
As I mentioned last week I have participated in a contest. In total I got 17 points, which means 7 extra points out of 10 for my solution in the last challenge. That puts me in place 28, or in place 3, depending if you consider everybody with the same points in the same place or not.
Here comes my solution, the problem description can be found in the picture above. Continue reading →
Blocket.se is a Swedish online market for buying and selling goods. They are very big and probably exist in your country too under a different name.
They are now hiring people and what better way to recruit programmers than setting up a contest? They have hidden 10 easter eggs (geeky riddles) in the guts of their website and the challenge is to find them and provide the right answers.
Me and a friend of mine have found them all. We also found out that the last egg has a follow-up task which you are not required to complete. However, I have completed it and I will post my answer here after the contest ends on the 7:th of April.
So I started learning some Box2D to improve skills in game programming. Box2D is a physics engine written in C++. Many games use a graphics engine but not a physics engine. The graphics engine usually accelerates the graphics on the GPU but what makes movements look realistic is the physics engine.
Because Box2D is written in C++ you cannot simply use it in your iOS project, but thanks to Objective-C++ support you can change your file extensions to .mm and then simply use C++ in your Objective-C project.
In this example im not using a graphics engine, only Box2D and basic UIKit elements (UIView). Next step would be to do a similar example using a graphics engine like Cocos2D.
Here is a video of my motorcycle from my recent visit to Greece. I just installed a new thermostat called “Thermo-Bob” and changed the engine oil and thought I should record starting the engine as it had been sitting for over a year.